Monday, August 22, 2011

Honey Lime Fish with Blueberry Lime Salsa

How Sweet It Is is probably my favorite food blog. I love her writing (hilarious) and her recipes are delish. I tried this recipe the other day. I used Grouper, instead of Tilapia. Bad idea. :) I should have stuck with Tilapia or Cod. The Grouper had to strong of a flavor, and was to tough. I marinated the fish all day (prepped it before work), which worked out well. I also got to use my brand new cast iron pan! yay!

P didn't really like this recipe, but I think it was mostly because of the Grouper, and he doesn't like fruit salsa. I thought the salsa was great, I even ate it the next day (without the fish!) for lunch. I also really liked the flavor of the marinade for the fish. 

Honey Lime Fish

4 fresh (or thawed) tilapia filets or cod
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons olive oil for frying

In the morning,season fish with salt and pepper then lay in a baking dish or into a large ziplock bag. In a bowl, combine olive oil, honey, lime juice and zest, and crushed garlic and whisk until combined. Pour over fish and let marinate all day (although 1 hour would also be fine). Add flour and a bit more salt, pepper, and lime zest to a bowl and set aside.

Heat a cast iron skillet (or a non-stick skillet) over medium-high heat and add olive oil. 



Dredge each piece of fish through the flour until you have a very light coating. Making sure the pan is hot, add fish to the oil and cook until flaky and crispy on each side – about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and let drain on a paper towel for a few minutes. Serve with blueberry lime salsa.

Blueberry Lime Salsa

1 cup fresh blueberries
5 medium strawberries
1/4 red onion
1 teaspoon lime zest
juice of one lime
1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 avocado, chopped

Combine blueberries, strawberries, onion, lime zest, juice and cilantro in a food processor or blender and pulse. I left about half of mine chunky. Fold in chopped avocado. Serve with pita or corn chips, or on top of fish or chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha Think?