Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Asian Potstickers with Cabbage and Pork

I have no idea what possessed me to try these. But I had saved two different recipes since 2009, so clearly this has been on my list of things to try for awhile. Despite having saved those two recipes, I just decided to wing it, even though I've never made potstickers before and don't claim to be an expert in asian inspired cooking. They turned out pretty well! I made them along with honey-soy monkfish, brown rice, and a veggie stirfry. P thought the potstickers were the best part of the meal. Good stuff.

I have read that once assembled, you can stick these babies in the freezer to cook later. This may be a good way to have premade appetizers/finger food in your freezer. Or to freeze the "extras". Because now I have like a dozen or so leftover in my fridge.

The only thing I will say...the assembly took awhile. Much longer than I anticipated. You have been warned.

Cabbage-Pork Potstickers
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon ginger, peeled and grated
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 c bean sprouts
1/2 head green cabbage, sliced thin and into 2-3 in long strips
1 head baby bok choy, cut into thin strips
1 tea soy sauce
1 T sherry
1 T sliced green onion
1/2 lb ground pork
1 package premade potsticker wrappers (in produce section)
2 T canola oil

Heat the sesame oil over med heat in a skillet or wok. Add ginger and garlic, stir for one minute. Add bean sprouts, cabbage, bok choy, green onion. Saute 1-2 minutes. Add sherry and soy sauce. Saute until soft (4-5 minutes). Add ground pork, cook until no longer pick, crumbling into small bits.

Once the pork is cooked and the vegis are nice and soft, cool slightly. I recommend laying out the wrappers on parchment paper, assembly line style. For speed. Get a small bowl or glass of water to dip your fingers into.

Add one spoonful of the pork/vegi mixture to each wrapper. Moisten fingers with water, fold over the edges to seal. Warning: if you overstuff (which I did towards the end because I got tired of making these...) they will burst.

Heat skillet over med heat again. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil, heat. Add potstickers to pan (will probably only fit half of batch in pan), cook for two minutes until brown. Flip over, add 1/2 cup water to pan, cover, let steam 4 minutes. Uncover, cook until liquid evaporates and they are golden brown.

I didn't really count, but I think this made about 30-35 potstickers.


The whole meal:

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha Think?