Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Roasted Veggie White Pizza

I have flirted with vegetarianism in the past. And I have always had health concious eating habits, my mother was at the forefront of the organic/co-op/health food movement 20 years ago, so I started learning young! Since reading Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes and The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals I have been thinking about it more and more. Another great book, written many years ago that has the same message: Diet for a Small Planet. At this point in time, I know I can't be 100% veggie. But I do try to limit my meat intake. My goal is usually to eat meat only one time a day, or at least a small amout at two meals. I don't always meet that goal, but recipes like this help!

Roasted Veggie-White Pizza

1/2 red onion, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced



1 small tomato, sliced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 pre made thin pizza crust (such as Boboli, or make your own!)
3 Tablespoons pesto (store bought is just fine!)
2/3 cup 2% shredded mozzerella
1/2 cup part skin ricotta cheese
1/4 cup basil
pepper to taste
cooking spray or olive oil

Preheat oven to 500. Arrange red onion, yellow bell pepper, zucchini on a jelly roll pan or baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat. Roast in oven 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
Reset oven to broiler. Preheat pizza pan under broiler for 5-10 minutes.

Coat crust with cooking spray or drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Spread pesto onto crust.

Sprinkle 1/3-1/2 cup mozzarella over crust. Sprinkle with basil.


Add ricotta to crust, distribute evenly.



Slide crust onto baking sheet. Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is slightly melty (not brown!).
Remove from oven, spread cheese out with spoon. Sprinkle with pepper to taste.


Add roasted vegis, top with tomatos.

Top with remaining mozzarella. Broil another 5 minutes. Cut into slices.

Yum!

1 comment:

Whatcha Think?