Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tuna Melt

I never think to make Tuna Melts. I usually reserve canned tuna for a lunch-when-I-have-nothing-left-in-the-house, with crackers. But the other night I realized I had everything to make a fabulous tuna melt, and I wasn't feeling a big dinner...so why not?

Stuff I had in the house: tuna, mayo, salt, pep, rye bread, cheddar cheese, pimentos, onion.

Slice an onion and saute in a little olive oil on med-low for about 20 minutes until caramelized. yum!

Then, butter one side of the rye bread. Place in same pan you cooked onions and top with shredded cheddar cheese:

Top with caramelized onion and pimentos:

Mix tuna with mayo (to taste), salt, pepper. Add to sandwich, top with more cheddar cheese.


Top with other buttered bread slice.

Cook until browned on both sides.

yum!

Warm, gooey, cheesy, tasty! The caramelized onions are nice and sweet, and the pimentos add a nice twist. It was a pretty quick, I-don't-feel-like-cooking weeknight dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I just joined so keep cooking, I have a daughter,who lives in Houston. Thank you for reading with me, I am not a cook by trade either, but I do love to cook. I heard this on xm radio, mixing the butter and grated cheese and put on the grilling side of the bread. I looked at your posting the lasagna sounds interesting. Andi
    http://thewednesdaybaker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha Think?