Saturday, April 16, 2011

Chicken and (Maple) Waffles

I grew up outside of Atlanta (or HOTlanta, The ATL, A-Town, whatever you want to call it). Having lived in the South the vast majority of my life, I enjoy southern cooking. This means I heart things like creamed corn, fried chicken, hush puppies, pulled pork BBQ, pimento cheese, and, oh wait, fried anything. The things about southern cooking I do not heart are mushy vegetables, any gelatin salads, and most coleslaws.


Today, I would like to share a Great Southern Tradition, Chicken and Waffles. If you ever find yourself in the ATL, I recommend visiting Gladys and Rons Chicken and Waffles and trying the Midnight Train. Four glorious fried chicken wings with a waffle. Amazing.


I decided to recreate that moment for dinner-for-breakfast this week at American Idol night (see previous post for latkes). Instead of frying my own chicken, we cheated and purchased chicken tenders. But we made our own waffles! I decided to add some maple syrup into the waffle batter instead of sugar.


Maple Waffles


2 Eggs
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1-¾ cup Milk
½ cup Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
¼ teaspoons Kosher Salt

Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs until about double in size. Beat in the remaining ingredients until the batter is well mixed, light and fluffy.

Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour about  enough batter until the batter barely covers the raised waffle indentations on the waffle iron. Close cover and cook until the waffles are golden brown (according to your waffle iron's instructions). 
To assemble your plate-of-amazement, top the waffle with butter, 2 chicken tenders, and liberally applied maple syrup. I will admit, we ate these so fast I was only able to snap a blurry shot:

Also please note the Texas-shaped waffle maker. I love it!
Skeptics: do not knock it till you've tried it! It is a glorious experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha Think?