Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

This weekend, I tried a recipe I had been saving for a group-event. I knew that it wouldn't be P's cup-o-tea, and I didn't want to make it just for me (because it seemed not-so-healthy). BUT, we had a birthday party at work to celebrate...a perfect time to try this!

It is a Southern Living recipe from November 2010 (I know, I hang onto these things for months to, well, years). The title of the recipe is super-lame (Latina Lasagna) so we will refer to it simply as Mexican Lasagna.

2 (24-oz.) jars tomato-and-basil pasta sauce
1 1/2 pounds fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles
1 (15-oz.) container ricotta cheese (I used low fat)
1 cup whipping cream
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
12 no-boil lasagna noodles
1 (16-oz.) package shredded Mexican four-cheese blend (I used the 2%, 1.75 cups)

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cook sausage in a Dutch oven (or skillet) over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking sausage into pieces while cooking. Drain; return sausage to Dutch oven. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in pasta sauce, cilantro, and chiles; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.


2. Stir together ricotta cheese, whipping cream, and eggs until smooth.
3. Spoon 1 cup sauce mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan. Top with 4 lasagna noodles. Top with half of ricotta cheese mixture, one-third of shredded Mexican cheese blend, and one-third of remaining sauce mixture. Repeat layers once, beginning with noodles. Top with remaining 4 noodles, sauce mixture, and shredded cheese blend. Cover with aluminum foil.

4. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.

I promise, one day I will get a better camera!


The verdict: Pretty tasty. The group enjoyed it, and it had a nice "kick" to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha Think?