Tuesday, May 17, 2011

BBQ Chicken Salad

For the last couple posts, I have been trying to come up with a clever anecdote, or funny story, or something besides just a recipe. Unfortunately, since my life is really just reading cancer biology (and that it not really very funny...) right now, I can't come up with anything. So just a recipe it is.

This recipe was loosely inspired by Two Peas and Their Pod, but I changed it up enough to call it my own. :) Their version sounds delish, but P won't eat Blue Cheese.

To serve 4:
Salad:
mixed greens (enough for 4 servings!)
1/2 cup black beans, canned, rinsed and drained
1 ear corn, kernels removed
1 t butter
1/2 c grape or cherry tomatos, halved
1 lb chicken tenders
BBQ sauce
French Fried onions (the green bean casserole kind!)

Dressing:
1 avocado
3 T honey
1/2 shallot, chopped
1/3 c white vinegar
2/3 c olive oil


This was a really tasty salad. The warm corn, BBQ sauce, cool avocado dressing, with crispy French Fried Onions. Yum!

To make dressing:

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. I once again used my Magic Bullet (I even like the name!) I am such a dork. And I am not employed or endorsed by the Magic Bullet, but I should be. The dressing doesn't look so good, but just trust me, OK?


For the salad, top greens with tomatoes and black beans. Cook corn kernels in 1 t butter over med heat for 2-3 minutes until tender and warm. Place on greens.



Cook chicken on grill or grill pan until done, covered in BBQ sauce. I used my Pampered Chef grill pan. I think a real grill would be better, but you gotta use what you have, right? Chicken took about 5 minutes on each side over medium heat.

Top greens with 2-3 chicken tenders and sprinkle with French Fried Onions, drizzle with avocado dressing.
Yum!


Yes. Observant people will notice I just used the same picture twice. :) I didn't take enough photos of the finished salad. Oops. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha Think?